Saint Catherine's ChurchRetour haut


Saint Catherine's Catholic church was built to replace a stone church that was destroyed during  the Hundred Years War.  It is the largest church in France built from wood by shipwrights.

It is dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria as can be seen from a wooden sculpture above the porch of the bell tower which is separated by two aisles.

The first nave, the oldest part of the building, dates from the second half of the 15th century. It is built on the model of a market hall with the appearance of a reversed boat hull.

In the 16th century, a second nave was added. Its vault is consistent with modest Gothic churches. The church was covered with chestnut wooden shingles that constitute the siding.

At the bottom of the main nave is a beautiful organ whose carved oak case is done in the 18th century style. There you can admire a painting of the Carrying of the Cross. Near the altar, you can see the statue of Saint Catherine, who holds a palm branch in one hand and  a sword in the other.

The bronze lectern dating from the 15th century is in the shape of an eagle. The painting showing  the martyrdom of Pierre Berthelot was blessed in 1926; stained glass and glass windows were inaugurated in 1887.

Many famous people were baptized in this church.

The building was listed as a historical monument in 1870.

The bell tower (steeple) was built separate from the nave. It has a square frame, is coated with shingles and topped by an octagonal pyramid also coated with shingles and it relies on a stone base. In 1718,  'crutches' were put in place to support the bell tower.


Saint Léonard's ChurchRetour haut


Saint Leonard's Catholic Church was built on the site of a sanctuary that existed as far back as 1186.

 The Flamboyant Gothic façade is the only part that remains of the old Gothic building. There are also some remains from the Renaissance. Most of the church was burned by the Huguenots during the religious wars of the 16th century.

The major part of the building was rebuilt in the 17th and 18th centuries. The interior is decorated with murals and the vault of wood timbers.

The interior consists of a long nave with side aisles. There you can see the statue of Saint Benoît, Saint Etienne and others.

A chair called the "chair of the bishop" that can be seen in the church was offered during the visit of Monseigneur Suhard, the bishop of Bayeux and Lisieux.

The stained glass windows date from the 19th century. In the center of the apse ,we can see the life of Saint Leonard. The windows on the side aisles are the stations of the Cross.

The lectern dating from the 18th century was listed as a historical monument in 1898.

The present organ was inaugurated in 1878 and restored in 1997. It consists of 20 registers, including 1050 pipes and has 16 complete sets over 2 manual keyboards.

The building was listed as a historical monument in 1980.


Notre Dame de Grace (Our Lady of Grace Chapel)Retour haut


The first chapel was founded by Richard II Duke of Normandy around 1023, to fulfill a vow made during a storm where he almost perished. In 1538,  a cliff collapsed washing it all away with the exception of an altar and a statue of the Virgin Mary.

This chapel was rebuilt between 1600 and 1615 by sailors and wealthy Honfleur people  on land donated by Madame de Montpensier.  A slate roof was added in 1625, along with a bell tower.

It was at this time that the Capuchin Fathers planted a wooden cross to indicate the location of the old chapel. The cross was about thirty meters from the current calvary. An outdoor chapel was built in 1911. It serves as a sanctuary for religious ceremonies and pilgrimages.

The interior of the chapel consists of a small nave, richly decorated and two transepts.  The left one is dedicated to Norman settlers who settled in Canada and the right one is dedicated to Saint Therese (de l'Enfant Jésus de Lisieux).  The windows tell the story of the chapel. By a Vatican brief on  February 15th, 1912, the Chapter of St. Peter's awarded the golden crown to the statue of Our Lady of Grace. In June 1913, formal celebrations were held for the coronation of Our Lady of Grace. Many pilgrims continue to declare their faith to Mary, Our Lady of Grace.

The organ was inaugurated in 1990. There is a statue of Saint Peter in the chancel of the chapel along with a statue of Saint Anne carrying Mary and the baby Jesus as well as a wooden statue of Saint Joseph dating back to the 18th century.

There are many marble plaques and paintings in the chapel commemorating the visits of famous people such as Samuel de Champlain, Pierre Berthelot, Louis XIII, Bonaparte and  Saint Therese of Lisieux.

Our Lady of Grace has exceptional votive offerings which symbolize the fulfillment of a wish, a recommendation or a prayer.

Sailors and fishermen and their protection hold a privileged place here. Since 1861, every year at Pentecost, you can admire a picturesque procession of model ships carried by children from Saint Catherine's Church in town to Our Lady of Grace Chapel.


Gonneville Church (Honfleur)Retour haut


Under the patronage of Saint Martin, parts of this imposing stone church date from the 13th century.  It is one of the largest in the region.

The present church was opened for worship around 1562. The nave flanked by flat buttresses dates back to the Roman period and is the oldest part of the church. The wide windows that illuminate the nave were added in the 18th century when the roof was redone.

The capitals of most of the columns are decorated with carved leaves and arches. You can see a bird pecking at grapes, a rabbit and chimeras.

The chancel has a stone vaulted ceiling. The nave is made of simple wooden paneling

In 1957, two painted murals on the walls of the church were discovered. The windows of the church were donated by local families.

The bell tower is a square tower surmounted by a truncated quadrangular pyramid on which an octagonal steeple stands.

The church was listed as a historic monument in 1933. 


Pennedepie ChurchRetour haut


The church, dedicated to Saint George, with its oldest parts dating back to the 12th century was restored in 1957.

An arched door opens into the nave; a small bell tower that formerly held a bell, crowns the gate.

The chancel is lit by modern arched windows, similar to those of the nave. Inside, the church is completely painted in white.

The altar has a nice altarpiece in the Louis 14th style, decorated with two twisted columns. The tabernacle is a domed gallery that ends with a lily. There is also a bas-relief depicting St. George slaying the dragon.

The 14 stations of the cross were carved on oak panels in 1943.


Quetteville ChurchRetour haut


The building  of the church dates back to the end of the 11th century. Patronage was held in the 12th century by the Abbey of Bec Hellouin.

The very broad nave is illuminated north by five openings. Only three windows illuminate the nave to the south. Inside  the nave you can see two large flat buttresses where one of them is backed by the pulpit.

Above the altar is a painting of the martyrdom of Saint Laurent, the church's patron.  The altarpiece is decorated with two twisted columns, topped with vine leaves. In the center is an arched alcove with a frame made of laurel leaves containing a statue of the Virgin Mary.

The baptismal fonts, in an octagonal form, date from the end of the 15th century.


Riviere Saint Sauveur Church Retour haut


The church was initially part of Saint Leonard's parish of Honfleur and its Ablon branch. On June 1st, 1836, a decree established a new branch in La Riviere Saint Sauveur.

 Located on the site of the former Saint Sauveur chapel, the church was blessed in 1844.

In the nave there are several statues such as:  Saint Anthony of Padua, Our Lady of Montligeon, Saint Michael the Archangel, Our Lady of Lourdes, The Virgin Mary, Saint Philomena and a large wooden sculpture of Christ.

In the chancel there are two wooden statues representing Saint Anne and Saint Clair.

There are sixteen windows that were restored in 1916 after they were damaged by an explosion at the Graville powder factory.


Saint Gatien des Bois ChurchRetour haut


The church was dedicated of Saint Gatien in the 15th & 16th century. The wide façade is supported by six buttresses.

The nave dates back to 1503. The chancel was rebuilt in the 18th century and blessed in 1758 by a  Canapville priest. The  paneled vault has a slight curve and dates from the 16th century. It is supported by a simple wooden frame structure.

The  Louis 16th style altar dates from the 18th century.  It is decorated with columns topped by a bust of Christ's medallion. Four Corinthian columns support a dome that crowns the Trinity symbols with rays of glory.  

Twelve panels represent the apostles. The windows of the chancel date from the late 19th century and those in the nave were made before 1949. There is a  window representing Saint Austreberthe. Legend says that she was responsible for cleaning the monks  laundry. One day as she was going to the river to do the laundry with her donkey she met a hungry wolf who quickly swallowed the entire donkey. Petrified, Austreberthe began to implore heaven to spare her, and that's when the wolf lay peacefully at her feet.

There is a plaque  in honor of the Samson Family who emigrated to Canada.


Fourneville ChurchRetour haut


The Fourneville Church is dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Yves. Its building dates back to the late 12th century.

The walls are supported by many buttresses that are opened by five narrow windows in the shape of lancets. Two arched windows dating from the 16th century  have replaced older southern windows.

The nave with four bays is held together by travertine buttresses. It is vaulted with four large painted wooden beams. The chancel is set back from the nave and ends with a straight wall supported by two large buttresses. The Louis 15th style high altar is decorated with an altarpiece depicting the Resurrection.

In this church there are two statues that were donated after a pilgrimage to Rome: a Joan of Arc statue  blessed in 1921 and  a statue of the patron saint of the parish.

Due to the layout of the ground,  several steps were added to step down into the nave.


Equemauville ChurchRetour haut


The first stone of this church dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus was laid in 1892. The church is divided into six bays and is flanked by two chapels that end with a polygonal apse. The entrance     gate is made up of German  stone columns, capitals and tympanum.  It is dominated by a 2 meter high statue in cast iron stone of the Sacred Heart  shone with its arms extended.

The interior is in white stone with  pillars between the bays consisting  of three columns bundled together.  There are around eighty carved capitals and emblazoned keystones.

At the entrance, two demons are forced to give holy water to the faithful.  There are twelve stained glass windows depicting scenes from the Gospel.

The main altar is simple with its marble columns, bas-reliefs, the tabernacle and the statue of the Sacred Heart.  The nave is paved in mosaic with marble from the Pyrenees. The sanctuary is paved with lilies.

A chapel was built in 1920 to commemorate the memory of  French soldiers who died for their country. The stained glass window that illuminates this part of the chapel bears the flags of France through the ages.

The stations of the Cross are made of stone and are sealed permanently in the walls.  The subject of the station is carved in bas-relief in a central medallion.


Ablon ChurchRetour haut


Rebuilt in the 15th century, there is still an existing 11th century wall. The church is under the patronage of Saint Pierre es Liens. The southern wall has seven flamboyant style windows and eight buttresses.

The  Louis 16th style altar is made of carved oak embellished with gilding. A decorated and gilded altar containing a sacred stone is dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.

The pulpit is made of carved wood and dates from 1752. The stations of the Cross are painted on canvas with a gilded ogival style wooden frame.

There are many statues in the church and six paintings including one of Saint Peter which is  2.75 meters by 1.75 meter in a wooden frame.


Barneville La Bertran Church

Retour haut



The nave of four spans and the two spanned chancel are in travertine held by big buttresses. There is a 12th century Roman style tower where the nave and the chancel meet.

The inside is vaulted in a wooden cradle where crystal chandeliers hang. The pulpit dates from the 18th century as well as the crucifix on the southern side.

The paneled choir is slightly lower than the nave. It contains interesting paintings and statues.

The high altar dates from  the 18th century. It is covered with false marble and with gilts and topped with an altarpiece divided into three panels. Two reliquaries shelter fragments of Saint Eutrope and Saint Maxime's bones.

There are three beautiful embroideries  which show  Saint Anne educating the Virgin Mary and two of the Madonna and Child.


Genneville ChurchRetour haut


The building dates back to the 13th century. The church added a transept in the 16th century established by alternating cubes of rubble and black flints.

The oldest part of the church is the three bays of the nave with flat buttresses rising to the ledge.

The entire altar covers the sanctuary with its portico and twisted columns that are overloaded with vine. The altar centerpiece shows the Assumption with Saint Louis on one side and Saint Ouen, patron of the place, on the other. The southern altar is richly decorated. The tabernacle has two statues and an ivory crucifix. The altarpiece, decorated with twisted columns, contains the statues of the Virgin Mary and Child,  Saint Blaise and a mitred Saint Claude.

There are some artifacts: a crucifix, a banner of the Virgin Mary, a lectern and especially Roman baptismal fonts.


Theil En Auge ChurchRetour haut


The original nave of the 14th century church had two bays and a chancel. The northern wall was rebuilt in the 16th century with alternating layers of flint and rubble. The white coated nave is made in an ogival structure and a lower chancel shaped like Napoleon's hat. Between the two, there is a tympanum decorated with a cross and palms.

On the main altar there is a Mystic Lamb on its tomb, a pelican in its tabernacle and the keys of St. Peter on its brown and gold altarpiece.

The octagonal baptismal fonts have a cover carved with acanthus flowers.

There is a wooden statue of Saint Mathurin dating from the 17th century in a red and gold chasuble with a girl at his feet along with a painting of the Crucifixion.


Hospital ChapelRetour haut


This chapel dedicated to St. Firmin was built in 1580.  It includes a second area called the "ladies' chancel" which was rebuilt between 1707 and 1709.

The chapel was built of flint with white stone buttresses and windows that indicate the 16th century. Saint Melaine who founded the hospital in 1669 is buried in the chapel.

The Louis 15th altar has two miniature wooden angels on each side of the tabernacle. The oil paintings of the Stations of the Cross are done on canvas and are  richly framed. There are stained glass windows depicting Saint Louis and Saint Elizabeth of Hungary (among others ) that were restored in 2009.


St. Francis of Assisi Chapel Retour haut

This chapel is located in the Marronniers neighborhood and was blessed in 1976 by Bishop Badre, the Bishop of Bayeux.